Friday, October 2, 2009

The BENNY Would Like a Word...

The first time I heard this phrase was a few years ago. I was in Atlantic City visiting a friend from High School when her rich, college boyfriend called me a BENNY. For those of you who aren't from the great state of New Jersey, allow me to enlighten you...

BENNY:

Acronym used to describe people who visit the jersey shore only in the summer time. Stands for Bayonne, Elizabeth, Newark, and New York, which are the places bennys come from. The typical benny is usually pretty easy to spot. White or orange from fake tan in a can, jeans in the 110 degree weather. Chains, sneakers, socks, even heels at the beach; annoying people who take up locals parking beach and living spaces.
Go Home Bennys..locals only.



(Definition courtesy of urbandictionary.com)...yeah that should show you how legitimate this term is.

Incident 2 was this past summer with a friend from the great state of Pennsylvania. His sister had recently moved to Elizabeth, NJ and she had apparently mentioned something to him about being a BENNY. I explained to him what it meant as he (being from Pennsylvania) had no clue.

Incident 3 was also this summer when an acquaintance (I use that term loosely) from Middletown, NJ called me one. I knew it was a joke but I did not realize that Mr. Middletown was actually afraid of me for this reason.

I need to clear some things up so these shore kids can get over themselves.

1. I have never "pumped my fist". None of my friends have ever "pumped their fists". However, I know plenty of college frat boys who are from down the shore who do (and some from Staten Island).

2. I have never worn socks with my sandals. My father, however, has. No, he's not even a real BENNY. He's from Maywood.

3. I have never worn heels on the beach.

4.When was the last time it was 110 degrees at the Jersey Shore?? Not anytime you can recall.

5. I do not drive a Honda or Accura.

I can't think of any other state in this country who has so much rivalry among residents. It's bad enough that the rest of the country thinks we're ridiculous. Let's not prove them right. Can't we all just get along?

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said!! ;0) However there is nothing funnier than stilettos in the sand :0)

Boozy Tooth said...

I'm with you, Rodney King.

The Peach Tart said...

What? You're not supposed to wear stilettos to the beach?

Mike said...

I lived in point pleasant for a couple years, and I never lost the stigma of being a Benny! The locals really hate Benny's!!! LOL!

Joanie said...

I've never heard that term, but we always vacationed in South Jersey. I even lived in NJ for 3 years (Swedesboro in Gloucester County ... exit 2 on the turnpike) I don't do NJ if I can help it. the ex lives there.

Anonymous said...

I always pump my fists. At every possible opportunity. It irks people. Hehe.

:o)

BlackSnow said...

lol...high heels at the beach and wearing sock with sandals is a bit weird...I mean a really cool thing was invented and it's called shoe.

Irish Chick Soup said...

I agree. Also being from Florida myself and growing up in a restaurant I know what it's like to survive largely on tourism. Floridians have a similar hatred, and stupid stereotype for "yankee snow birds" that I've never understood. Which is silly, if people stopped going to the Jersey Shore, or Florida, what would the locals do?

Medora said...

People around here (Northeast Ohio) wear socks with sandals. I don't get it.

Midtown Girl said...

Why have I not heard of BENNY before?? LOL - loves it...btw totally love urban dictionary as well - my source too ;-)

XOXO

Lisa said...

Is this like going to Manhattan from Flushing?

Anonymous said...

theconstantchill.blogspot.com is very informative. The article is very professionally written. I enjoy reading theconstantchill.blogspot.com every day.
money loans payday