Wednesday, October 14, 2009

You Wouldn't Be This Excited if You Knew Where You Were Going...

It all started with my mother (as most of these things do) mentioning it to me the other day.

"The dog has been biting at his butt a lot. I think you should take a look."

Always me. I'm the one who has to look at the dog's butt.

Picture this if you will, a twenty something chasing her 72lb black lab/border collie mix around the house for a butt check while my mother sits at the kitchen table quietly giggling to herself.

Turns out he had scabs on him so we took him to the vet. The dog gets super excited about it because he has no idea what he's in for. He just loves riding in that car! On the way over my mother fills me in on a dog we once had with fleas. Apparently my sister and I had little flea bites all over our bodies...I must have blocked it from my memory.

Luckily, the dog didn't have fleas. However, the vet came to the conclusion that at one point he had a flea. That's right, ONE FLEA. This flea apparently caused an allergic reaction that caused his "sensitive skin" to dry out, itch, and now he has these self inflicted scabs on his butt.

All of this resulted in a cortizone shot, an antibiotic, an antihistamine of some sort, and butt spray.

Yes, you read that correctly. Butt spray.

Guess who gets to chase the dog around the house and wrestle him to the ground twice a day to spray his butt. I'll give you a hint...me.

Although I guess that's a good thing for him seeing as how the vet recommends he lose 5lbs. My mom didn't think 5lbs was a big deal until I pointed out the fact that 5lbs is almost 10% of his body weight.

Dog losing 5lb = me losing 12-15lbs.

Someone needs to tell this dog that he is not a person and therefore is not covered by health insurance. This little visit cost $242. We thought about getting dog insurance but I'm sure if we did then nothing would happen to him ever again. Isn't that how these things work? What this dog needs is a job. If anyone's looking for a fluffy, chubby, dog for a commercial or anything drop me a line. Although I will warn you that he's a bit of a diva.

9 comments:

Mango Girl said...

I feel the same way about pet insurance.

Hope the big guy's butt is better soon.

xo, Mango

The Peach Tart said...

He's gorgeous

rxBambi said...

I love that guy! We always made Barb check the dogs butt growning up... you aren't the over achiever, are you?

Mike said...

OK?? a post about dog butt?? hahaha!

Stacy Uncorked said...

What a cool dog! Scabby butt and all! :)

I hear ya about pet insurance - we thought about it, but figured the same deal would apply...you pay for it, then your pet never needs to use it! :)

Liz Mays said...

A dog with a scabby booty, SOLD!

Melanie's Randomness said...

Omg the poor lil thing. I had no idea they have butt spray?? that's hilarious. He looks so cute looking out the window!! I literally laughed outloud with the insurance bit. If I hear of any doggie commercials I will let you know. =)

Joanie said...

He'll lose that 5 lbs quickly if you keep chasing him around with that butt spray.

I rescued a kitten at 2 or 3 weeks old. I had to teach him how to poop. That was fun.

Hit 40 said...

This vet is a loon!! Don't go back.